Monday, July 08, 2013

Job as prophet - further evidence

Just a quick note to finish off my thought process from yesterday.

In the verses which immediately follow Job's question re: life after death, he could easily be talking on behalf of the incarnate Jesus (especially 1st bit) and/or restored humanity (especially 2nd bit). Get your laughing gear round this:

(1sit bit)
All the days of my service I would wait until my release should come.
You would call, and I would answer you; you would long for the work of your hands.

(2nd bit)
For then you would (not) number my steps, you would not keep watch over my sin;
My transgression would be sealed up in a bag, and you would cover over my iniquity.

We can't really blame Job for feeling like God is very much "watching over" his sin. He's going through hell (figuratively - to the extent that he seems to want to go there literally), and his friends are telling him it must be because of his sin. You can kind of imagine God listening and thinking "Ooh, covering over iniquity. Now there's a thought."

The point is that the thing that Job's pining after is our reality. He (again unwittingly it seems) gets a glimpse of the age to come. This is why reading people like Job and Jeremiah gives me such heart. God honoured their earnest (if tempestuous) pursuit of him by giving them glimpses of what He was up to. It gives me hope that if we are earnest and real in our pursuit of God, He'll maybe show us some of what the age to come's got in store. Whether we'll recognise it as such is another (and possibly less important) question.

Thanks for reading. I should probably note at this point that the Bible translation I'm quoting is the New Revised Standard Version. In the quote above, the (not) is there (without brackets) in the English, but a footnote tells me some versions of the Hebrew don't have it. I think the quote can work either way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home